Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Review of Reviews

Gregory Crewdson:
Stephanie, I very much like the way you compared the busyness of his composition to the “vacant” feeling they convey. Kara put it very well when she spoke of the “dreary or uncomfortable emotion” triggered in the mind of the viewer upon being presented with Crewdson’s photographs. Tim’s comment about leaving the work untitled was also interesting… the work does indeed speak for itself very strongly!

Jeff Wall:
Elena made a good observation about the staged scenes of Wall, and how “the figures in the scene are strangely natural, as if not noticing that they are being photographed”. Just reading that made me realize the delicate beauty in the way, as Keri put it, “he was able to master everyday things and twist them in very unique ways”.

Teun Hocks:
First of all, I agree with Keith concerning the playful and painterly images, and how they are a "breath of fresh air" rather than overbearing. Kaitlin's comparison to Crewdson's work - it's surreal feel - worked in allowing me to see it through slightly different eyes, however. Not that I see Teun Hock's intentions as some dark effort masked in the guise of lighthearted storytelling... but, as Alayne wrote about, I believe there is something deeper in his works: there is the element of time and human experience that is presented in the backdrop of whimsy and childlike innocence.

Cindy Sherman:
I found what
Rhada said to be right on: “The intention to evade color makes the feminity seem more suggesting”. I probably never would have given that particular decision a thought, had I not read her words. Liz, you also made a remark that struck me, when you spoke of how Sherman is making a statement about the media and its persistent effort to make woman into an icon. You're right when you say that it causes us to "forget the woman as perpetually human". Though I suppose that's been around for as long as time itself...

As for overall observations, Renee made some good connections to all the works and the way in which they use space to convey (or not convey) depth. Emma, I was drawn to the way you were able approach the artist reviews based on your evident interest in color and its power.

No comments:

Post a Comment