Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Finding the Art in the Work




I was able to take a gander at the Inherited Traits exhibition a number of times in the past weeks. My reactions, at first, were as varied as the work itself - From observing kinetic sculptures to video works to a genealogy of prominent supermarket label effigies, I didn't know whether to leave the exhibit entertained, provoked, smiling, or serious! But that was only at first. Though I never considered myself a conceptual artist, seeing this kind of work deepened my appreciation for art as a conveyor of meaning - for what can be emptier than a piece without intent? But here, each work invited me to step closer, search, and discover that which lay beneath the cleverly crafted and carefully presented pieces. Both Nina Katchadourian and Heidi Kumao gave me room to share in an observation, take part in a life experience, or allow me room to put the pieces together for myself. This is, in my opinion, possesses the essence of art - to draw one nearer, move inside the viewer, and provoke reaction.


No comments:

Post a Comment